Mini Salted Caramel Apple Pies
A hint of sea salt brightens the apple-caramel-pecan flavor combo, giving this deliciously decadent pie added zing.
Chef's Tip: Worried about time? Use refrigerated Hy-Vee pie crust in a pinch.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c.||plus 1 tbsp Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided|
|⅓ c.||plus 1/4 cup Hy-Vee granulated sugar, divided|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|¼ c.||cold Hy-Vee unsalted butter|
|⅓ c.||Hy-Vee chopped pecans|
|Half of The Ultimate Pie Pastry|
|4 c.||thinly sliced apples|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee lemon juice|
|15||individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
|Flake sea salt|
- Set oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. For crumb topping combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter. Stir in pecans. Set aside.
- Divide pastry into 6 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a thin 6-inch circle, keeping unrolled portions in refrigerator. Ease pastry circles into six 4-1/2-inch tart pans*. Cut off any dough extending beyond edge of pan.
- For apple filling, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine 1 tbsp flour and 1/4 cup sugar; toss with apples. Using 2/3 cup for each pie, arrange slices in pastry-lined pans. Sprinkle with crumb topping. Place pans on baking sheet; place on lowest oven rack. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees. Bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry and topping are golden. Let cool 10 minutes.
- For caramel sauce, combine caramels and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on HIGH for 1 minute, stirring every 20 seconds. Watch carefully so mixture does not boil over. Drizzle each pie with caramel sauce. Just before serving, sprinkle each with a pinch of flake sea salt.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: You can also bake these in 12 muffin cup or custard cups.
500 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 26g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 200mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 66g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 6%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2011.