Strawberry Orange Muffins
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c.||chopped strawberries (2 c. whole berries)|
|1 tbsp.||orange juice|
|1 ½ c.||flour (may use all or part whole wheat)|
|½ c.||soy flour|
|2 tsp.||baking powder|
|1 tsp.||baking soda|
|½ tsp.||grated nutmeg|
|⅔ c.||orange juice|
|2 tbsp.||soy oil|
|2||egg whites, lightly beaten|
|1 ½ tsp.||freshly grated orange peel*|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- *To make orange peel, wash orange well. Peel with vegetable parer, taking off only the orange skin. (The white has a bitter taste.) Chop finely with a knife.
- Mix chopped strawberries with sugar and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Allow to sit while preparing the batter.
- Combine flour, soy flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in large mixing bowl.
- In smaller bowl, whisk together 2/3 c. orange juice, oil and egg whites. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix just until well blended. Batter will be thick.
- Stir in strawberry mixture and orange peel.
- Divide batter among 12 nonstick or lightly greased muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, until center tests done and muffins are golden.
131 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 125mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 25g
- Protein: 3g
Iowa Soybean Promotion Board.