Make these calzones even spicier by adding red pepper flakes to the sauce. For an easier crust, pick up a package of Hy-Vee Pizza Crust Mix.
Servings and Ingredients
|Dough for Chewy Pizza Crust|
|1 (8 oz) pkg Hy-Vee Italian-blend shredded cheese, divided|
|1 lbs. bulk Italian sausage|
|1 c. chopped onion|
|1 c. chopped red and/or green pepper|
|1 (4 oz) can Hy-Vee mushroom stems and pieces, drained|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee pizza sauce|
|Additional pizza sauce, optional|
- Prepare dough for Chewy Pizza Crust and allow to rise. Punch down dough. Divide into 6 equal parts for small calzones or 2 equal parts for large calzones. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Remove 2 tablespoons cheese from package and set aside.
- Cook sausage in a medium skillet. Remove from heat and drain. Stir in onion, peppers, mushrooms and pizza sauce. Stir in remaining cheese.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Uncover one portion of dough, sprinkle very lightly with flour and roll into a 7-inch circle for a small calzone or a 12-inch circle for a large calzone. Position dough on calzone press. For a small calzone, place a heaping 1/2 cup sausage filling on half of dough. For a large calzone, use 2 cups filling. Close press firmly to seal. Transfer calzone to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake until golden, 17 to 20 minutes for small calzones or about 25 minutes for large. Sprinkle with reserved cheese during the last 3 minutes of baking. If desired, serve with additional pizza sauce for dipping.
580 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 20g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 1160mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 70g
- Protein: 28g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 40%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2012.