Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Soft, velvety, chocolate cupcakes topped with sweet cream cheese frosting—that's how you show someone you care.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ¾ c.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, softened, divided|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|3||Hy-Vee large eggs, at room temperature|
|1||(1 oz) bottle red food coloring|
|3 tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract, divided|
|3 ½ c.||Hy-Vee flour|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee baking cocoa|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|1 ½ c.||low-fat buttermilk|
|1 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee distilled vinegar|
|1 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|1||(8 oz) pkg Hy-Vee 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened|
|4 c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
Things To Grab
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- Cream 1-1/2 cups butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add red food coloring and 2 teaspoons vanilla; beat well. Scrape down bowl.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa and salt. Add buttermilk to red batter in three parts alternating with the cocoa/flour ingredients, beginning with buttermilk and ending with dry ingredients. Scrape down bowl.
- Stir together vinegar and baking soda in a small bowl. Add to batter and mix well. Scrape down bowl.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin pans. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make frosting, beat together cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup butter until light and fluffy. Beat in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Frost cooled cupcakes.
250 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 11g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 160mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Comfort Foods Cookbook.