Peach Blueberry Galette with Basil Cream
Fried basil. Now that's how you turn an ordinary dessert into a signature dish. That and a dollop of basil cream—although ice cream or whipped cream are always welcome substitutions.
Servings and Ingredients
|For the Basil Cream|
|¾ c.||heavy cream|
|⅓ c.||loosely packed fresh basil, chopped|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|¾ c.||mascarpone cheese|
|For the Fried Basil|
|18 to 24 large fresh basil leaves|
|Sugar, for sprinkling|
|For the Dough|
|2 ½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, plus more for surface|
|1 ⅛ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|1 c.||cold Hy-Vee unsalted butter, cut into small pieces|
|⅓ c.||plus 2 tbsp ice water|
|For the Galette|
|1 ½ c.||Santa Maria Winery peach wine|
|4||large peaches, sliced with skin on|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|⅓ c.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla|
|Egg wash (1 egg plus 2 tsp water)|
|Coarse sugar for dusting, optional|
- To make the fried basil: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Brush both sides of basil with vegetable oil and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make the basil cream: Combine cream, basil and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Set bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water and stir until sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 2 hours for a more pronounced basil flavor). Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Add mascarpone and whisk until medium peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 2 hours.
- To make the dough: Pulse flour, salt and sugar in a food processor to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add ice water and pulse until just combined (dough will still be crumbly). Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch round; transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the galette: In a small skillet, simmer wine over medium heat until it has reduced by half, about 10 to 15 minutes. Toss the peaches in cornstarch until lightly coated. Add the peaches and sugar to the skillet and saute about 3 to 4 minutes, or until syrup has thickened and peaches are just soft. Add the blueberries and toss to coat in the peach mixture. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Pour the mixture into the center of the dough. Gently fold the edge of the dough over the peach and berry mixture. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Whisk egg with 2 teaspoons water to make egg wash. Brush dough with egg wash and dust with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to sit and cool slightly before serving. Top with basil cream and garnish with fried basil.
490 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 34g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Sodium: 240mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 38g
- Protein: 6g
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 10%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2014.