Soup, Chili & Stew
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tbsp.||sherry, optional|
|1 tsp.||minced fresh ginger|
|2 clove(s)||garlic, minced|
|1||carrot, cut into matchsticks|
|4 oz.||tofu, in small cubes|
|2 oz.||spaghetti, broken in half and cooked|
|½ c.||thinly sliced mushrooms|
|½ c.||finely chopped spinach or other greens|
|2 tbsp.||sliced green onions|
- Combine water*, sherry, ginger, garlic and carrot in large pot. Bring almost to a simmer (do not boil) and let cook about 10 minutes, until carrot is just tender.
- Stir in the miso.
- Add tofu, spaghetti and mushrooms. Heat through for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook for 30 seconds or so, just to wilt the greens.
- Serve miso soup in individual bowls, with green onions sprinkled on the top.
- *NOTE: For a more traditional flavor, simmer the water first with a piece of kombu (a Japanese seaweed, available in Asian and natural food groceries) for about 10 minutes. Remove the kombu and then make the rest of the soup according to the directions above.
60 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 350mg
- Protein: 4g
Iowa Soybean Promotion Board.