Mexican Spinach Dip Shooters
Servings and Ingredients
|1 packet(s)||corn bread mix|
|4 oz.||1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened|
|4 oz.||non-fat cream cheese, softened|
|½ c.||plain non-fat Greek yogurt|
|1||jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped fine|
|1||(14.5 oz) can Hy-Vee fire roasted salsa style tomatoes, drained|
|½||small onion, peeled and chopped fine|
|1||(10 oz) pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (wrap in paper towels to “wring out” spinach and rid of excess moisture)|
|1 ½ c.||shredded Cabot 50% Reduced-Fat Sharp Light Cheddar Cheese|
|½ tsp.||chili powder|
|¼ tsp.||ground coriander|
|¼ tsp.||ground cumin|
- Prepare your favorite cornbread mix according to package instructions except bake mix in mini muffin tins. You should have approximately 24 mini muffins for the following recipe.
- Begin checking for doneness after about 9 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the center. Muffins are done with toothpick comes out mostly clean, with a few crumbs attached, about 9 to 11 minutes. Allow muffins to cool completely.
- Cut into the tops of each mini muffin and scoop out a small portion, using a paring knife and teaspoon (don't worry if it doesn't look perfect on top—the filling will “overflow” a bit and cover up any ragged edges). Once you've carved each muffin, put muffin back into muffin tin. Discard excess muffin mixture (or set aside for later. Stir excess into vanilla yogurt, top with fresh blueberries and pistachios, and you've got a surprisingly delicious snack!). Muffins can be baked 2 to 3 days ahead of time. Wait to “carve” until the day of serving so that they don't dry out.
- When ready to assemble stuffed corn bread shooters:
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- With wooden spoon or rubber spatula, combine cream cheeses, Greek yogurt and jalapeno in large bowl. Fold in tomatoes, onion, spinach, cheddar, salt, chili powder, coriander and cumin until well combined. (Spinach mixture can be assembled and refrigerated for 24 hours.)
- Spoon mixture into each muffin cup and bake until filling is hot, about 8 to 10 minutes.