Lemon-Raspberry Marshmallow Torte
Sweet marshmallow meringue is swirled onto the cake, then lightly browned in the oven or with a handheld culinary torch. It's an elegant dessert.
Servings and Ingredients
|4 c. cake flour, divided|
|4 tsp. Hy-Vee baking powder, divided|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee baking soda, divided|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt, divided|
|6 Hy-Vee large eggs, divided|
|2 ⅔ c. Hy-Vee sugar, divided|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract, divided|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee vegetable oil, divided|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee buttermilk, divided|
|6 egg whites, at room temperature|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|½ c. Hy-Vee sugar|
|2 (7 oz each) jars marshmallow creme|
|1 ⅓ c. purchased lemon curd, divided|
|⅔ c. seedless raspberry preserves|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of two 9-inch round baking pans; line with parchment paper. Grease and flour the paper and sides of pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups cake flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 3 eggs with an electric mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Add 1 1/3 cups sugar; beat 30 seconds more. Beat in 1 tablespoon vanilla and 3/4 cup oil until smooth. With mixer on low, add flour mixture alternately with 3/4 cup buttermilk, beating just until combined. Batter will be thin. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cakes from pans; turn out onto wire rack and cool completely. Repeat all instructions to make two more cake layers.
- When cakes have completely cooled, preheat oven to 400 degrees. For marshmallow meringue, beat 6 egg whites and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on high until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Beat one-fourth of marshmallow creme into egg white mixture; repeat 3 times with remaining creme, beating until smooth and glossy, about 1 minute.
- To assemble cake, place one cake layer on serving platter; spread 2/3 cup lemon curd on top. Add second cake layer; spread raspberry preserves on top. Add third cake layer; spread remaining lemon curd on top. Add fourth cake layer. Generously spread meringue onto sides of torte. Mound remaining meringue on top of torte.
- Bake until meringue is lightly browned, about 6 to 7 minutes.
570 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 20g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Sodium: 470mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 93g
- Protein: 6g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Spring 2014.