Flax Fried Rice
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c.||long-grain rice, well rinsed|
|2 tbsp.||canola oil|
|3||eggs, beaten well|
|½ c.||diced cooked ham|
|¾ c.||frozen mixed vegetables, thawed|
|2||medium green onions, cut into 1/4-inch lengths|
|2 tbsp.||soy sauce|
|½ tsp.||sesame oil|
|¼ c.||toasted flax seed*|
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water and salt to a boil. Add rice. Bring to a boil again, stirring with a fork. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer slowly for 20 minutes. Remove lid, allowing steam to escape. Fluff rice with a fork. Let cool slightly, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- At serving time, heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add egg and fry until half-cooked. Add rice, breaking up any lumps, stirring quickly to coat the rice.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add ham, vegetables and green onions. Cook, turning gently but frequently, for about 4 minutes. Add soy sauce, sesame oil and toasted flax seed*.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- *To toast flax seed, spread flax seeds in a small metal pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir while toasting.
266 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- Sodium: 650mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 33g
- Protein: 11g
Family Favourites Flax.