Servings and Ingredients
|¼ c.||chili powder|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|¼ c.||olive oil|
|1 lbs.||boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly, about 1/4- to 1/3-inch thick|
|1 tbsp.||olive oil plus 3 c. diced fresh vegetables, such as red and yellow bell peppers, poblano peppers, onions, summer squash, fresh corn, kale, mushrooms, and broccoli, optional|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee shredded 2% Mexican cheese blend or crumbled feta, shredded Cabot Light Cheddar or Quesadilla cheeses, divided|
|4||Mission whole wheat burrito-sized tortillas|
|Hy-Vee 100% natural olive oil spray|
|Pineapple Pico de Gallo, for serving|
- Stir together chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil to make a paste.
- Add chicken breasts and toss to coat. Marinate chicken at least one hour and up to one day ahead of time.
- When ready to cook, drain excess marinade from chicken. Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and transfer to a bowl.
- If adding fresh vegetables to quesadillas, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the sauté pan and heat over high heat. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables develop a few dark brown/black areas, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Build the quesadillas by sprinkling 2 tablespoons shredded cheese over half the tortilla. Evenly arrange cooked chicken and vegetables, if using, over the cheese. Top with an additional 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and fold over the other half of the tortilla. Spray top of tortilla lightly with olive oil spray.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add tortilla, sprayed side down, to pan. Spray top of tortilla lightly with more olive oil spray. Cook until golden brown on bottom side, about 4 minutes. Flip quesadilla and continue cooking until golden brown on the second side. Repeat with remaining quesadillas, keeping cooked quesadillas warm in an oven (set at 200 degrees), if desired.
- When ready to serve, cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve topped with Pineapple Pico de Gallo.
Hy-Vee dietitians and chefs.