Veggie Pizza Quesadillas
Servings and Ingredients
|Vegetables, sliced or diced, such as mushrooms, peppers, onion, zucchini, yellow squash, corn cut off the cob, broccoli, carrots (use up whatever you have around the house, or whatever you would like)|
|1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 to 2 tbsp olive or canola oil|
|1/2 to 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, depending on how big a batch you are making|
|½ tsp. salt|
|½ tsp. black pepper|
|1 to 2 whole wheat tortillas per person, depending if the quesadilla will be an entree or snack|
|1 bottle of your favorite pizza sauce*|
|4 oz. of your favorite cheese, shredded (depending on batch size)|
|Turkey pepperoni, 3 to 4 slices per tortilla, optional|
|Non-stick cooking spray|
- Saute the vegetables in oil, including the garlic, starting with the onion (it takes the longest). Season with salt and black pepper. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes in a hot pan. Add peppers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add mushrooms and zucchini, along with the Italian seasoning. Cook until the vegetables are soft, but still have some texture.
- Lay out the tortillas and spread about 2 tablespoons pizza sauce over each entire tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edge all the way around. Add a large spoonful of vegetables on half of the tortilla and top with approximately 2 tablespoons grated cheese. OPTIONAL: You can add about 3 to 4 slices turkey pepperoni if you want more “kid appeal”.
- Fold each tortilla in half, covering the filling with the ungarnished half.
- Preheat a griddle to 375 degrees or wipe out the sauté pan used for the vegetables. Spray with cooking spray and pre-heat at medium-high heat. Cook each tortilla until golden and crisp on both sides.
- This is such a versatile recipe. You can use the veggies you have around the house. *If you don't have pizza sauce, try salsa and use chili powder instead of Italian seasoning. Add leftover shredded chicken, beans, etc.
Adapted by Chef Betty Deepe for Cooking Matters.