Buttermilk Cinnamon Rolls
Servings and Ingredients
|¾ c. buttermilk|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|4 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, cut up|
|4 tbsp. Hy-Vee shortening|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|¼ c. cold water|
|4 c. plus 3 tbsp Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided|
|1 (1/4 oz) pkg (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|¾ c. packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|4 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, softened|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|3 tbsp. buttermilk|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|3 c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
- In a small saucepan combine 3/4 cup buttermilk, granulated sugar, 4 tablespoons butter, shortening and salt. Heat over medium heat until butter and shortening are almost melted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in cold water.
- In a large bowl stir together 4 cups flour and yeast. Stir in buttermilk mixture and eggs. Stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto countertop; knead in up to 3 tablespoons more flour for 5 minutes. Dough should be soft but not sticky. Cover; let rise in a warm place (80 to 85 degrees) about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl thoroughly combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Grease a 16-by-12-inch baking sheet. Roll out dough to a 16-by-12-inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border along one long edge. Spread brown sugar-cinnamon mixture evenly over butter. Starting at long edge without a border, roll up tightly; pinch seam closed. With your hands, reshape roll to form an 18-inch cylinder with flat ends and a consistent diameter. Cut into 12 slices, using a sawing motion with a serrated knife. Place 2 to 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.* Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let rise until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover rolls and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet; remove to wire rack to cool.
- For icing, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium bowl in the microwave. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls.
- *Note: To bake later, do not allow rolls to rise at this point. Securely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate unbaked rolls up to 14 hours. Remove from refrigerator and allow to rise in a warm place (80 to 85 degrees), loosely covered, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until nearly doubled. Continue as directed above.
500 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 15g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 230mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 85g
- Protein: 8g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2011, Reciplease! on HSTV.com