Apple Flax Seed Squares
Servings and Ingredients
|2 ½ c.||all-purpose flour|
|1||egg yolk plus enough milk to equal 2/3 c. liquid|
|2 c.||cornflakes, crushed to make 1 cup|
|4||large or 6 small peeled and cored apples, cut to make 5 c. sliced apples|
|¾ c.||white sugar|
|1 ½ tsp.||cinnamon|
|½ c.||powdered sugar|
|1 tbsp.||warm water|
|½ tsp.||vanilla or almond extract|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 15-by-10-inch baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt and flax seed. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in egg yolk/milk mixture until soft dough forms. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 half into a 15-by-10-inch rectangle to fit the baking sheet. Place rolled out dough on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle cornflake crumbs on top.
- Place apple slices on top of crumbs. Sprinkle white sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Roll other half of dough on a lightly floured surface to the same size. Lay on top of apples to cover. Crimp edges all around to seal.
- Beat egg white until frothy. Brush on top of crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, water and vanilla (or almond) extract. Stir well, adding a few drops of water if needed. Using a spoon, drizzle icing on top.
117 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 7g
- Sodium: 190mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 13g
- Protein: 1g
Family Favourites Flax cookbook.