Did you know?
The greatest concentration of carotenoids, such as lutein, in avocados is found in the dark green layer closest to the peel?
Scan this icon to learn how to cut an avocado
- A new way to cut: Cut, Nick and Peel - Cut in quarters, nick and peel skin from avocado to get nutrient-rich, dark green fruit under peel.
- One-fifth of a medium avocado or 3 thin slices has 50 calories and 2 grams fiber.
- The majority of fat is monounsaturated, a healthy fat good for heart health.
- An avocado contains 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients including vitamin K, folate, potassium and vitamin E.
Easy to Use
- Test for ripeness: Gently squeeze in palm of hand. Ready to eat when avocado will yield to gentle pressure.
- Mash for a spread for sandwiches, wraps or bagels.
- Dice for salads, pasta, tacos, omelets and pizza.
- Slice for burgers or BLT sandwiches.
- Splash with balsamic vinegar or fresh lime juice; add black pepper and salt. Serve with whole-grain crackers.
- Toss into fruit smoothies to add creaminess