Strawberry-Rhubarb Gooey Bars
The sweet, soft filling for these luscious bars has a texture similar to lemon bars or pecan pie filling. For best eating, serve bars within 6 hours of topping with the berry sauce.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||(9 oz) pkg golden yellow 1-layer cake mix (such as Jiffy)|
|4 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|4 oz.||Hy-Vee cream cheese, softened|
|1||Hy-Vee large egg|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|½ c.||fresh or Hy-Vee frozen unsweetened cut-up rhubarb|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|2 tsp.||Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|1 c.||sliced fresh strawberries|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, egg white and melted butter until thoroughly combined. Spread in prepared baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, whole egg, powdered sugar and vanilla using an electric mixer until creamy. Spread mixture over batter in pan. Bake for 30 to 32 minutes or until golden and center jiggles slightly. Cool completely.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine rhubarb and water; bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 minutes. Stir together granulated sugar and cornstarch; stir into rhubarb. Bring to boiling over high heat; cook and stir 1 minute. Cool completely.
- Stir in strawberries. Spread sauce over cooled bars.
200 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 140mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 10%
Hy-Vee Seasons Spring 2014.