Seared Scallops with Citrus Herb Salad (Get Cooking)
Servings and Ingredients
|4 small radishes, thinly sliced|
|½ small fennel bulb, halved cored and shaved paper thin, plus 2 tbsp fennel fronds|
|¼ small red bell pepper, finely diced|
|½ jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced|
|2 tbsp. chopped cilantro|
|2 tbsp. chopped mint|
|1 tbsp. thinly sliced green onions|
|1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced|
|1 large ripe grapefruit|
|1 large ripe tangerine|
|squeeze of fresh lemon|
|4 c. spring greens|
|2 tsp. unsalted butter|
|2 tsp. olive oil|
|12 sea scallops, small side muscle removed, patted dry|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
- For the salad, in a large bowl, toss the radishes, fennel, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, mint and green onions; fold in avocado.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the grapefruit and tangerine, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over the bowl, cut between the membranes and release the sections into a separate bowl. Squeeze the membranes over the bowl. Add the citrus sections to the radish salad and reserve the juice in the bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the lemon juice to the bowl and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Toss the spring greens with a couple tablespoons of dressing and place the remainder dressing on the radish salad. Set aside.
- For the scallops, heat the butter and oil in a 12- to 14-inch saute pan over high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Once the fat begins to smoke, gently place the scallops in the pan, making sure they are not touching each other. Sear the scallops for 1 minute on each side. The scallops should have a 1/4-inch golden crust on each side while still being translucent in the center. Remove scallops from pan and squeeze with lemon.
- To serve, place 1 cup spring greens on four separate plates, top with 3 scallops. Top scallops with radish citrus salad; serve immediately.
190 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 125g
- Total Carbohydrates: 19g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 90%
Vitamin C 100%
Chef Andrew from Ankeny #1, KCCI-TV recipe, July 1, 2016.