Roasted Fennel and Mushroom Crostini with Savory Garlic Spread
Servings and Ingredients
|2 tsp.||olive oil|
|Mushroom and Fennel Topping:|
|2||medium fennel bulbs, tops removed, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces*|
|16 oz.||button or cremini mushrooms, sliced|
|2 tbsp.||olive oil|
|8 slice(s)||Honey Whole Grain Baking Stone Bread|
|Olive oil non-stick cooking spray|
|¾ c.||non-fat plain Greek yogurt|
|1 tbsp.||olive oil|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||lemon, for garnish|
- Adjust oven racks so that one rack is on the lowest position and another on the top third position. Place a large rimmed baking sheet on the bottom rack so that the pan preheats, and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roasted Garlic: Cut off the top one-third of the garlic head (not the end with the little roots). Remove the papery outer layers. Drizzle the cut portion with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast in small baking dish on top rack at until soft and golden, 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the head. Alternatively, you can wrap the head in a sheet of aluminum foil and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, instead of using a baking sheet.
- Roasted Mushroom and Fennel Topping: Meanwhile, toss fennel and mushrooms with oil, salt, pepper and sugar in large bowl. Carefully remove baking sheet from oven and, working quickly, carefully transfer fennel and mushrooms to sheet and spread in even layer. (Use two baking sheets if the vegetables do not fit into an even layer on one sheet—crowding them will cause the vegetables to “steam” rather than roast and caramelize.) Roast until vegetables are tender and well-browned on one side, 25 to 30 minutes (do not stir during roasting). Remove and set aside.
- Crostini: Once garlic is soft, remove from oven and allow to cool. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees. Spray both sides of bread with olive oil spray. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottom side is lightly golden and toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Savory spread: Once garlic is cool enough to handle, remove the garlic from the skin by using your fingers to gently squeeze from the root end. The cloves should slip out easily. Mash the garlic with a fork to form a paste. Mix with Greek yogurt. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir to combine.
- To Assemble: “Smear” approximately 1-1/2 tablespoons of Savory Garlic Spread on each slice of crostini (toasted bread). Top with approximately 2 tablespoons of the Roasted Mushroom and Fennel Topping. Repeat with remaining pieces of bread and arrange on a serving platter.
- Zest a lemon over the top of the crostinis to garnish. Serve.
- Note: Leftover Roasted Mushroom and Fennel Topping makes a great addition to salads, sandwiches, wraps or pizzas.
- *To view an instructional video of this recipe, including how to core and slice fennel, visit the Iowa City 1 Hy-Vee Facebook page or search on YouTube.
230 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 370mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 11g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 25%