Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
A shredded coconut and marshmallow filling sandwiched between two red velvet cake-like cookies—we heart this dessert.
Servings and Ingredients
|For the cookies:|
|1 oz. semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped|
|½ oz. milk chocolate baking bar, chopped|
|12 tbsp. Hy-Vee unsalted butter, melted|
|½ c. Hy-Vee sour cream|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee apple cider vinegar|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|1 tbsp. red food coloring|
|2 ¼ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee unsweetened cocoa powder|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee baking soda|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|For the filling:|
|1 c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter, softened|
|2 c. sifted Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow crème|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee pure vanilla extract|
|1 c. Hy-Vee shredded coconut|
Things To Grab
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine semisweet and milk chocolate and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until completely melted. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine 12 tablespoons melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring; whisking until combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, mixing completely between additions, just until combined. Stir in melted chocolate.
- Using a spoon, place heaping tablespoonfuls of batter on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies spring back when lightly pressed. Cool 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, cream 1 cup softened butter and powdered sugar. Add marshmallow crème and vanilla. Whip for 3 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Sandwich two cookies with icing, then roll in shredded coconut.
410 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 22g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Sodium: 170mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 51g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee weekly ad from the week of December 2, 2015.