Dress up a traditional whoopie pie recipe with crushed peppermints for a wintery twist.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 oz.||Bakers unsweetened chocolate|
|4 oz.||Bakers semisweet chocolate|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, softened and divided|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|4||Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 ½ tsp.||plus 2 tbsp Hy-Vee vanilla extract, divided|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee mini semisweet chocolate chips|
|1||(7 oz) container Kraft marshmallow creme|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|4 drop(s)||red liquid food coloring|
|1 c.||crushed peppermint candies|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine unsweetened chocolate, semisweet chocolate and 1/2 cup butter. Microwave on MEDIUM heat in 30-second intervals until melted.
- Whisk in sugar, eggs and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla into the chocolate mixture until smooth.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture in batches, mixing well after each addition. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoon scoops onto prepared pan, spacing cookies 1-1/2 inches apart. Bake until cookie tops spring back lightly when touched, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine marshmallow crème and remaining 1/2 cup butter. Mix on LOW for 1 minute until combined. Increase speed to MEDIUM and mix until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons vanilla extract and red food coloring and beat on LOW until smooth and fluffy, about 3 more minutes. To fill cookies, use a pastry knife to spread 1 tablespoon marshmallow filling on the flat side of one cooled cookie. Place another cooled cookie with its flat side on the marshmallow filling to create a sandwich. Roll cookie edge over crushed peppermint candies to coat. Serve immediately.
350 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 18g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 100mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 47g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2011.