Honey-Dijon Brussels Sprouts Skewers
These sweet-and-sour “little cabbages” are tender, lightly charred and irresistible. It may seem tricky to grill Brussels sprouts, but if you partially cook them on the stove top, they'll be tender by the time they're perfectly seared on the grill.
Servings and Ingredients
|12||(6-inch long) bamboo skewers|
|2 tbsp.||packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee honey|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee stone-ground Dijon mustard|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee apple cider vinegar|
|6||whole pitted dates|
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add the sprouts and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until just barely tender and still bright green. Spread on a sheet tray to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, for honey-mustard glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl combine brown sugar, honey, mustard and vinegar. Cook on HIGH for 30 to 60 seconds or until boiling to dissolve sugar; set aside.
- Preheat grill to direct heat over medium heat.
- Cut cooled Brussels sprouts in half through stem.
- Stack prosciutto slices and fold in half crosswise; make 3 lengthwise cuts through the stack to end up with 12 prosciutto ribbons.
- Halve the dates.
- Begin to assemble the skewers starting with a Brussels sprout half, then a prosciutto ribbon folded accordion-style, a date half and finishing with another Brussels sprout half. Continue until all of the skewers are assembled. Brush the glaze lightly over the skewers.
- Place skewers on an oiled grill rack. Grill for 2 to 4 minutes or until Brussels sprouts begin to char, turning once and brushing with glaze. Remove skewers and serve warm drizzled with any remaining glaze.
- Tip: Choose Brussels sprouts with small, tight heads, no more than 1-1/2 inches in diameter. To keep the halved sprouts intact, cut them through the stem (and remove any tough outer leaves).
140 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 260mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 50%
Hy-Vee Big Holiday Food Book 2015, Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2014.