By adding cola to the marinade, you're infusing the flank steak with the right amount of sweetness and just enough acid to help tenderize the meat. And by adding liquid smoke, you're getting all the same flavors you'd get from smoking the meat for hours.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 lbs.||beef flank steak|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee ketchup|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee cola|
|½ c.||yellow onion, finely chopped|
|⅓ c.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee steak sauce|
|3 clove(s)||garlic, minced|
|1 tsp.||liquid smoke|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground black pepper|
|2 dash(es)||bottled hot pepper sauce, optional|
|16||Hy-Vee bakery cocktail buns, split|
Things To Grab
- Sharp knife
- Large resealable plastic bag
- Shallow dish
- Medium bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Fine-mesh sieve
- Charcoal or gas grill
- Meat thermometer
- Trim fat from steak. Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Place steak in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, cola, onion, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, garlic, liquid smoke and black pepper. Pour 1 cup sauce over steak in bag; seal bag; turn to coat steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.
- Meanwhile, transfer remaining sauce to a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until thickened. Strain sauce; set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Drain steak; discard marinade. Grill steak until desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 17 to 21 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees) to medium (160 degrees).
- Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve slices in slider buns with cola barbecue sauce.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 560mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 29g
- Protein: 15g