Similar to butterflying, this technique flattens the chicken for even cooking on the grill. Not only is it easier than you might think, it's also kind of impressive looking.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 (3 1/2 to 4 pounds) whole chicken|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee Hickory House poultry powder rotisserie roast chicken seasoning|
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium heat for direct cooking.
- Place whole chicken breast side down on work surface.
- Beginning at thigh end, cut along each side of back bone with kitchen shears. Remove and discard backbone.
- Flip chicken over and press firmly on breastbone to flatten chicken. Pat chicken dry.
- Lightly oil and season whole chicken. Grill chicken, breast side down, about 10 to 15 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 30 minutes. Flip again and continue to grill until internal temperature of breast reaches 165 degrees. Remove from grill and allow to rest 10 minutes.
280 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Sodium: 370mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 1g
- Protein: 37g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee weekly ad from the week of June 17, 2015.