Servings and Ingredients
|1 lbs. firm frozen tofu, thawed, with excess water squeezed out OR 12 ounces tempeh, steamed or cooked in water or broth for 20 minutes before using|
|8 medium mushrooms|
|1 green pepper, seeded and cut in 1-inch squares|
|1 onion, cut into 8 wedges|
|1 medium zucchini, cut in 1-inch pieces|
|8 cherry tomatoes|
- Whisk together marinade ingredients of your choice from selections below. Set aside.
- Cut tofu or tempeh into 1-inch cubes. Place them into a covered dish or zippered plastic bag. Add mushrooms, green pepper, onion and zucchini pieces. Pour marinade over all.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Carefully stir in dish or turn the zippered bag over a few times while marinating.
- Divide the marinated ingredients evenly and thread on 4 skewers, along with cherry tomatoes.
- Place under a broiler or on the grill. Cook, turning and brushing with marinade a few times, about 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Orange marinade: Whisk together 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, 1/4 cup undiluted thawed frozen orange juice concentrate and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Teriyaki marinade: Whisk together 1/3 cup lower-sodium soy sauce, 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, 3 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons sherry.
- Sweet mustard marinade: Whisk together 1/4 cup thawed undiluted frozen apple juice concentrate, 2 tablespoons honey, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce and 2 tablespoons mustard.
Iowa Soybean Promotion Board.