Fresh Veggie Pancakes
Sneak a few nutritious veggies into crisp, golden hotcakes — a breeze to throw together when you shred the carrot, zucchini and squash in a food processor.
Servings and Ingredients
|2||large green bell peppers|
|1||(10 oz) zucchini|
|1||(10 oz) yellow summer squash|
|½ c.||chopped green onions|
|1||fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped*|
|¾ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|⅓ c.||Hy-Vee freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|3||Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|Hy-Vee vegetable oil, for frying|
- Preheat broiler to roast bell peppers. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Halve peppers lengthwise; remove stems, seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until skins are blistered and dark. Carefully bring foil up and around peppers to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, peel peppers; cut lengthwise into strips. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, using a food processor or coarse shredder, shred carrot, zucchini and squash; place in a medium bowl. Add green onions and jalapeno pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper. Toss flour mixture into vegetables. Stir in eggs.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil over medium-high heat. Drop three 1/4-cup mounds of mixture into hot oil; flatten to make 1/2-inch-thick pancakes. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to paper towel-lined plates to drain. Keep warm in a 200-degree oven until serving time. Repeat for remaining pancakes.
- Serve pancakes topped with roasted pepper strips.
- *Note: Chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes. When working with jalapeno peppers, wear hand protection.
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2014.