Soup, Chili & Stew
French Onion Soup
Servings and Ingredients
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|4||onions, thinly sliced|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee flour|
|5 c.||Hy-Vee beef broth|
|2 tbsp.||red wine|
|6 slice(s)||baguette bread, divided|
|½ c.||grated gruyere cheese, divided|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in onions. Cook over medium-high heat or 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in flour. Add broth and wine and bay leaf; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- In an oven-safe bowl, place 1 slice of bread. Ladle soup over bread slice. Sprinkle the top generously with shredded cheese. Repeat for remaining bowls.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday Entertaining Cookbook.