Soup, Chili & Stew
Beef and Cremini French Onion Soup
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|12 oz.||beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|2||large yellow onions, thinly sliced|
|1 c.||sliced fresh cremini or white mushrooms|
|5 c.||Hy-Vee beef broth|
|½ c.||dry red wine|
|1 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|1||Hy-Vee bay leaf|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee thyme|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|6||(3/4-inch) slices French baguette, toasted|
|½ c.||finely shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (2 ounces)|
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add beef cubes and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is brown.
- Remove beef from Dutch oven, reserving drippings, and set beef aside.
- Add butter to reserved drippings and heat over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, covered, another 5 minutes or until onions are golden, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beef, broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, place toasted baguette slices on baking sheet. Evenly divide cheese among slices. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is light brown and bubbly.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with bread slice.
320 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 990mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 17g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 10%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2009.