Soup, Chili & Stew
Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup
This flavorful cold-weather soup contains two whole grains: hulled barley and wild rice.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 lbs.||boneless arm roast|
|2||(32 oz each) containers Hy-Vee beef broth|
|1||large onion, coarsely chopped|
|½ c.||hulled barley*, rinsed|
|2 tsp.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee dried thyme|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee dried oregano|
|Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|1||(14.5 oz) can Hy-Vee diced tomatoes, drained|
|1 c.||coarsely chopped celery|
|2 c.||coarsely chopped carrots|
|8 oz.||baby bella mushrooms, sliced|
|½ c.||wild rice, rinsed|
- Trim excess fat from roast.
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, bring broth to a boil. Add roast, onion, barley, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove meat from pot; cut into bite-size chunks and return to pot. Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, mushrooms, water and wild rice. Return to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
- To freeze for later, cool soup. Divide between two 1-gallon freezer bags. Seal, label and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator for 48 hours. Reheat in a stock pot or Dutch oven until heated through.
- *If using pearled barley, which only takes 45 minutes to cook, wait to add it with the tomatoes.
230 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 840mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22g
- Protein: 26g
Vitamin A 90%
Vitamin C 10%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2013.