Chicken, spinach and feta cheese are the focal points of this Greek-inspired dish, topped with flaky phyllo dough. Find phyllo dough in the freeze case at your local Hy-Vee.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 lbs. fresh baby spinach leaves|
|Hy-Vee Select olive oil, as needed|
|2 tbsp. plus 1/2 c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter, divided|
|3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks|
|Hy-Vee kosher sea salt, to taste|
|Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|2 shallots, finely chopped|
|8 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 c. Hy-Vee chicken broth|
|1 c. Hy-Vee half-and-half|
|2 (4-oz. each) containers Hy-Vee Select crumbled feta cheese|
|3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice|
|1 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped|
|1 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped, plus additional for garnish|
|2 c. cooked orzo|
|12 sheets phyllo (fillo) pastry dough, thawed and covered with a towel|
Things To Grab
- 3-quart rectangular baking dish
- Large skillet
- Paper towels
- Meat thermometer
- Large bowl
- Small microwave-safe bowl
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add a handful of spinach and cook until just wilted. Transfer to a colander and press out as much water as you can with paper towels. Repeat with remaining spinach, using additional oil as needed.
- To the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon butter. Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper. Cook half the chicken until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from skillet, and repeat with remaining tablespoon butter and chicken.
- In same skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add shallots and garlic. Cook until softened. Stir in flour. Whisk in chicken broth. Increase heat to high and cook, whisking frequently, until thickened and bubbly. Whisk in half-and-half. Add feta cheese, lemon juice, oregano and dill. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken, spinach, orzo and cheese sauce. Transfer to prepared dish.
In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 1/4 cup butter. Lay sheets of phyllo on work surface; brush each sheet with melted butter. Scrunch up the sheet and set it on top of chicken mixture in dish. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets until dish is completely covered.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and phyllo is crisp and golden. If desired, garnish with additional dill.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 19g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Sodium: 480mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 35g