A classic Italian chicken piccata wouldn't be complete without lemon and pickled flower buds called capers. But if you're in the mood to make substitutions, you can use white wine instead of chicken broth.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half, to get 4 pieces|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|½ c. flour, for dredging|
|4 tbsp. olive oil, divided|
|1 shallot, minced|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 tsp. lemon zest|
|⅓ c. fresh lemon juice|
|½ c. no salt added chicken stock|
|¼ c. brined capers, rinsed|
|4 tbsp. butter, softened|
|1 c. halved cherry tomatoes|
|3 large zucchini, spiralized into noodles|
|2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped|
|½ c. fresh grated Parmesan cheese|
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil. When oil is hot, add all 4 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to a plate.
- In the same sauté pan, add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, shallot and garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add lemon zest and juice, broth and capers. Bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor.
- Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add 4 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Add cherry tomatoes and zucchini noodles just to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place zucchini noodle and tomato mixture on a serving platter, top with the chicken and pour remaining sauce over the top; garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
560 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 37g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Sodium: 3780mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 20g
Vitamin A 20%
Vitamin C 70%
Chef Andrew from Ankeny #1