Caramel Coconut Thumbprints
These buttery, coconut cookies have a little pool of melted caramel in the center—perfect for sinking your teeth into.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, softened|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|3 ½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1||(7 oz) pkg Hy-Vee sweetened flaked coconut (about 2 2/3 c.)|
|4 oz.||semisweet baking chocolate|
|4 oz.||chocolate-flavor candy coating|
|1||(12.5 oz) pkg Hy-Vee soft caramel candies|
|¼ c.||whipping cream|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee semisweet chocolate chips|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee shortening|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Lightly beat egg whites. Roll balls in egg whites, then in coconut to coat. Place balls 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- In a heavy small saucepan or double-boiler, melt semisweet baking chocolate and chocolate-flavor candy coating over low heat until melted. Carefully dip the bottom of each cooled cookie into the melted mixture, letting excess drip off. Place cookies, chocolate sides up, on parchment paper; let stand about 30 minutes or until coating sets.
- To fill cookies, in a small saucepan heat and stir caramels and whipping cream over low heat until smooth. Spoon melted caramel mixture into cookie centers. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- In another small saucepan, heat and stir chocolate chips and shortening over low heat until smooth. Let cool slightly. Drizzle chocolate mixture over tops of cookies. Let stand until set.
190 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Sodium: 30mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 23g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2014.