Black Forest Torte
Servings and Ingredients
|¼ c. TSP (textured soy protein)|
|3 tbsp. boiling water|
|1 tsp. lemon juice|
|⅔ c. flour (all or part whole wheat)|
|¼ c. soy flour|
|1 c. sugar|
|¼ c. dry cocoa|
|1 tsp. baking soda|
|1 tsp. cinnamon|
|2 egg whites, lightly beaten|
|1 tbsp. soy oil|
|1 (16 oz) can red tart cherries packed in water, drained with liquid reserved|
|¼ c. sugar|
|1 tbsp. cornstarch|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 9-inch square pan with nonstick spray.
- Put TSP in small bowl and rehydrate by pouring boiling water and lemon juice over it.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, soy flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir together well.
- Gently stir in the egg whites, well-drained cherries and rehydrated TSP.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into 9 squares to serve.
- To make sauce, measure the reserved cherry liquid, adding water to equal one cup.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small pan, then add the cherry liquid.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and becomes clear.
- Serve sauce over pieces of torte, or top each piece with a scoop of frozen yogurt and top it with cherry sauce.
196 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 110mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 44g
- Protein: 5g
Iowa Soybean Promotion Board.