Servings and Ingredients
|1 (12 oz) bottle beer|
|2 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee garlic powder|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee ground black pepper|
|⅛ tsp. Hy-Vee cayenne pepper|
|Hy-Vee canola oil|
|1 (1 pound) bag Hy-Vee frozen large raw peeled, deveined shrimp, thawed|
- Pour beer into a large bowl. Sift 1-1/2 cups flour and seasonings into beer. Whisk together just until combined (a few lumps are okay); set aside.
- Pour oil into a large saute pan or Dutch oven to a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium-high heat to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, pour remaining 1/2 cup flour into a shallow dish and dredge shrimp to coat. Place shrimp on a rack until ready to fry.
- Working in small batches, dip floured shrimp into beer batter just to coat, allowing excess batter to drip off. Gently lower shrimp into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining shrimp, discarding any remaining batter.
Hy-Vee weekly ad from the week of February 10, 2013.