Servings and Ingredients
|Peanut oil for frying|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee plain bread crumbs|
|1 ½ tsp.||Chinese five spice|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee sea salt|
|¼ tsp.||cayenne pepper|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee shredded coconut|
|2||large egg whites|
|1 lbs.||large (20-30 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails left on|
|Lime wedges, for garnish|
|Ginger-Apricot Dipping Sauce, for serving|
- Heat 2 inches peanut oil over medium heat to 325 degrees.
- Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs with five spice, salt and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish. Toss with coconut.
- Lightly beat the egg whites in another shallow dish. Dip the shrimp in the egg whites, allowing the excess to drop off and coat with the coconut breading.
- Fry shrimp in batches in hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with the lime wedges and serve with Ginger-Apricot Dipping Sauce, if desired.
- To make Ginger-Apricot Dipping Sauce, whisk 3/4 cup Hy-Vee apricot jam, 1 seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper, 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger and 2 teaspoons Hy-Vee Dijon mustard in a small bowl. For a smooth dipping sauce, blend all ingredients in a blender or a small food processor. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2012, Hy-Vee ad from June 16, 2013.