Cut a loaf of banana bread and dry the slices overnight to create superior French toast that's crisp on the outside and soft with a rich custard-like flavor on the inside.
Servings and Ingredients
|8||slices Hy-Vee Bakery banana bread, cut 1/2-inch-thick|
|1 ½ c.||granola|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, divided|
|2||Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee brown sugar, packed|
|2 tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|⅛ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee canola oil, divided|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee creamy peanut butter|
|2||medium bananas, sliced|
Things To Grab
- Wire cooling rack
- Clean kitchen towel
- Food processor or blender
- 2 shallow bowls
- Small microwave-safe bowl
- Griddle or very large skillet
- Parchment paper
- Place bread slices in single layer on a wire rack. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let stand overnight.
- Place granola in food processor or blender; cover and process until coarsely ground. Transfer to a shallow bowl; set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and melted butter. Dip bread slices into egg mixture for about 20 seconds on each side. Dip each slice into granola.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil on a griddle or in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add bread slices and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden, turning once. Repeat with remaining bread slices, butter and oil.
Spread each bread slice with peanut butter. Arrange banana slices over 4 bread slices. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, peanut butter side down. Wrap sandwiches in parchment paper for a breakfast French toast sandwich to go.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 36g
- Cholesterol: 145mg
- Sodium: 480mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 77g
- Protein: 14g