Raspberry-Almond French Toast Bake
Surprise guests with the sweet aroma of bread baked in a rich custard sauce and generously topped with streusel and berry-infused maple syrup. Refrigerate the dish overnight and it’s ready to bake the next morning, making brunch a breeze.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 (14-oz. each) loaves Hy-Vee Bakery Artisan French baguette bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick|
|9 Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|2 ¼ c. Hy-Vee whole milk|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee almond extract|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee brown sugar, packed|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee unsalted butter, cold, cubed|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee slivered almonds|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee Select 100% pure maple syrup|
|1 ½ c. fresh raspberries, divided|
|Hy-Vee powdered sugar, for garnish|
Things To Grab
- 3-quart rectangular baking dish
- Medium bowl
- Small saucepan
- Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Place bread slices in baking dish; set aside.
- For custard, in a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Carefully pour over the bread in dish. Using the back of a serving spoon, press bread to coat with custard. Cover dish and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- For crumb topping, in a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds. Transfer to a storage container; cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove dish from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add crumb topping and bake for 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and topping is puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Just before serving, in a small saucepan heat maple syrup over medium-high heat just until boiling. Add 1 cup raspberries; slightly mash berries. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup berries on casserole; top with berry-syrup mixture. If desired, sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
590 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 23g
- Cholesterol: 230mg
- Sodium: 640mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 77g
- Protein: 18g
Vitamin A 20%
Vitamin C 8%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016.