Aunt Ione's Cinnamon Rolls
Servings and Ingredients
|2 packet(s) dry yeast|
|½ c. warm water|
|1 ½ c. milk|
|2 tsp. salt|
|½ c. sugar|
|¼ c. shortening|
|6 to 6-1/2 c. flour|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
- Add yeast to warm water to soften. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, place salt, sugar and shortening. Scald milk. Pour over mixture in bowl. Mix well.
- When the milk mixture has cooled to lukewarm, add 1 to 2 cups flour. Beat well.
- Add softened yeast and egg. Mix carefully. Add remaining flour. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead until dough becomes "satiny" in appearance. (If desired, half the dough can be refrigerated and baked later.)
- Place dough in well-oiled bowl. Let rise. Divide into 2 portions. Shape into rectangles.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins (if desired). Roll up. Cut into 1-inch portions.
- Place on greased baking sheet. Let rise. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.