Shrimp Spiedini with Italian Farro
Spiedini simply means "skewers" in Italian, which basically means these are little Italian kebabs. Instead of traditional chicken spiedini, try them with breaded shrimp.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 c. Hy-Vee Select farro, rinsed|
|4 c. plus 1/2 c. Hy-Vee chicken broth, divided|
|2 tbsp. Gustare Vita olive oil|
|3 tbsp. plus 2 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced and divided|
|1 c. carrots, diced|
|1 c. zucchini, diced|
|1 c. onion, diced|
|1 c. fresh basil, finely chopped and divided|
|½ c. dry white wine|
|½ c. shredded Romano cheese|
|1 c. Hy-Vee Select extra-virgin olive oil|
|3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee crushed red pepper|
|1 ½ lbs. large shrimp (16-20 ct.), peeled and deveined|
|1 c. Hy-Vee Italian-style bread crumbs|
|Lemon halves, for garnish|
|Fresh basil leaves for garnish|
Things To Grab
- Medium saucepan
- Large skillet
- Medium bowl
- Metal or wood skewers
- Silicone pastry brush
- Charcoal or gas grill
- In a saucepan, combine farro and 4 cups broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons garlic and carrots, zucchini and onion. Cook and stir for 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chopped basil, wine and 1/2 cup broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by a third. Stir in farro. Season to taste. Top with Romano cheese.
- For shrimp, in a medium bowl combine extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 cup chopped basil, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons garlic, salt and red pepper. Thread shrimp onto skewers. (If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before grilling.) Generously brush shrimp with oil mixture and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Pat crumbs onto the shrimp to help the crumb coating adhere. Discard any remaining oil mixture.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill (with a well-greased grill rack) for direct grilling over medium-low heat.
- Place skewers on grill rack; grill for 6 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque and begin to brown, turning once halfway through grilling.
- Serve shrimp with farro. If desired, garnish with lemon halves and fresh basil leaves.
720 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 29g
- Cholesterol: 190mg
- Sodium: 3220mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 76g
- Protein: 38g
Vitamin A 90%
Vitamin C 20%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2015.