Brining pork chops with a hoppy pilsner adds flavor and moisture.
Servings and Ingredients
|3||(12 oz) bottles pilsner beer, such as Baraboo Pilsner brand, divided|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee brown sugar, packed|
|4 clove(s)||garlic , chopped|
|1 sprig(s)||fresh rosemary|
|1||Hy-Vee bay leaf|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee black peppercorns|
|4 c.||ice cubes|
|4||Hy-Vee thick-cut, bone-in pork loin chops, about 3 lbs.|
|½||fresh pineapple, peeled and cored, cut into 1/2-inch slices|
|¼ c.||roasted red peppers, chopped|
|1||jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped|
|2 tbsp.||cilantro , finely chopped|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|1 tbsp.||fresh lime juice|
|Hy-Vee kosher salt and black pepper, to taste|
Things To Grab
- Large saucepan
- Resealable plastic bag
- Shallow dish
- Charcoal or gas grill
- Paper towels
- Meat thermometer
- Medium bowl
- Combine one bottle pilsner, salt, brown sugar, garlic, rosemary, bay leaf and peppercorns in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to boiling. Remove from heat. Add remaining two bottles pilsner and ice cubes to saucepan.
- Trim fat from chops. Place chops in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour pilsner mixture over chops; seal bag. Brine in the refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours.
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
- Drain chops, discarding brine. Pat chops dry with paper towels. Grill chops for 10 minutes or until slightly pink in center and juices run clear (145 degrees), turning once. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
After turning chops, add pineapple slices to grill and cook until grill marks appear, turning once. For salsa, chop pineapple and combine with roasted red peppers, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, olive oil and lime juice in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve pork chops topped with pineapple salsa.
Hyvee Culinary Expert TipChile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes. When working with hot peppers, wear protective gloves.
- Note: Nutrition facts cannot be calculated for this recipe because the amount of sodium in pork chops varies after brining.