Make a batch of these in the morning and spend the afternoon just chillin. They're like snow cones, only way better, way more refreshing, and with way less sugar. Try them with a variety of seedless melons.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 lbs. Kandy Dewlicious melons or Lemondrop melons|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee sugar|
|1 lemon, zested and juiced|
- Peel, halve and seed melons; cut into chunks and place in medium-sized bowl. Add sugar, lemon zest and juice; toss to mix. Cover and marinate melon in refrigerator for 2 to 12 hours.
- Strain juices from melon chunks into a small saucepan; bring to boil over high heat and cook 1 minute. Remove reduced juices from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Combine marinated melon chunks and reduced juices in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth.
- Pour mixture into 9-by-13-inch nonstick metal baking pan. Freeze until icy around edges, about 25 minutes. Using fork, stir icy portions into middle of pan. Freeze until mixture is frozen, stirring edges into center every 20 to 30 minutes, for about 2 hours.
- Once mixture is thoroughly frozen, fluff with a fork and allow flakes to "dry" in freezer another 30 minutes before serving. Mixture can be made 1 day ahead.
Hy-Vee ad from July 7, 2013.