Massaged Kale and Roasted Autumn Vegetable Salad
Servings and Ingredients
|Apple Cider Dressing:|
|1 c.||apple cider|
|3 tsp.||cider vinegar|
|¼ c.||minced red onion|
|¼ tsp.||minced fresh sage|
|2 tbsp.||extra-virgin olive oil|
|Roasted Autumn Vegetables:|
|1||medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|2 tbsp.||olive oil|
|To Assemble Salad:|
|2 bunch(es)||fresh kale, washed, stemmed and roughly chopped into 2-inch pieces|
|2 tsp.||cider vinegar|
|2 ½ tbsp.||olive oil|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee dried cherries|
|⅓ c.||sunflower seeds, toasted|
|½ c.||freshly shredded Sartori Reserve BellaVitano raspberry cheese|
- Apple Cider Dressing: Simmer cider in small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl; let cool, Then whisk in vinegar, honey, onion, sage, salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, drizzle in 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 tablespoon of water.
- Roasted Autumn Vegetables: Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss squash and carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper and spread out over prepared baking sheet. Roast squash until tender and golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Toss gently to coat and allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes. (If necessary, squash can be held at room temperature for up to 1-1/2 hours.)
- Kale: Place washed, stemmed and chopped kale in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinegar and oil and sprinkle with salt. Using your fingertips, “massage” kale for 2 to 3 minutes or until it has shrunk to half the original size. Set aside.
- To Assemble: Add dried cherries, toasted sunflower seeds and roasted vegetables to kale. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette and toss gently. Top with cheese and serve.