Roasted Sprout and Purple Kale Salad
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c.||whole or halved pecans or sunflower seeds|
|1 ½ lbs.||Brussels sprouts, quartered|
|6 tbsp.||walnut or olive oil, divided|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|3 tbsp.||fresh lemon juice, divided|
|1 tbsp.||Dijon mustard|
|⅛ tsp.||cayenne pepper|
|1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder, to taste|
|8 c.||purple kale, very thinly sliced with a knife or a food processor blade|
|Additional walnut or olive oil|
|½ c.||dried cranberries or tart cherries|
|4||garlic cloves, thinly sliced|
|1 oz.||Parmesan cheese, freshly shaved|
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toast the pecans or sunflower seeds on a large baking sheet for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Chop pecans, if using. Set aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray. Toss the Brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon oil and sugar; season with salt and black pepper. Roast for about 15 minutes, or until the Brussels sprouts have lightly caramelized on the edges and are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice with the honey, mustard, cayenne and chili powder. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup of oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large bowl, “massage” the kale with remaining 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Be sure to massage all the pieces well, with your fingertips. Add the toasted pecans or sunflower seeds and dried fruit; toss to combine.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 1 minute. Scrape the garlic and hot oil over the kale. Add the Brussels sprouts and dressing and toss well again. Scatter the cheese shavings over the top and serve immediately.