Individual Cherry-Almond Tarts
Try using a different filling for each of these individual tarts. The almond crust pairs with cherries, strawberries, and blueberries.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee almond extract|
|1||(16 oz) bag Hy-Vee frozen red tart cherries, thawed|
|1 ¾ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|¼ c.||ground toasted Hy-Vee almonds|
|4 tsp.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|⅔ c.||Hy-Vee shortening|
|6 or 7 tbsp ice water|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream|
|Hy-Vee sugar, as needed|
|Vanilla ice cream, for serving|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For filling, in a medium bowl combine sugar, tapioca and almond extract. Fold in cherries; set aside.
- For pastry, in a large bowl stir together flour, almonds, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather dough into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
- Divide dough into three portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of pastry into an 8-inch circle. Line a 5-inch tart dish or pie pan with pastry. Repeat with remaining portions of pastry.
- Spoon filling into pastry-lined tart dishes. Trim pastry even with tart dish rims.
- Reroll pastry trimmings for decorative additions, including cutouts and braids. For cutouts, use a small cutter to cut shapes. Brush pastry edge with water. Press shapes along edge to adhere or place on filling. For braids, cut three long 1/4-inch-wide strips of pastry; braid strips. Brush pastry edge with water and press ends of strips into pastry to adhere. Brush pastry additions with cream; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.
970 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 50g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 590mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 120g
- Protein: 10g
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016.