- Cut the onion in half from stem to root.
- Slice 1/4 inch off the top of each half.
Tip:If you're only using half of the onion, leave the skin on and wrap what you're not using in plastic wrap.
- Peel off the papery layers and remove and discard the skin.
- Lay an onion half flat on a cutting board. Holding the root end, carefully slice the onion horizontally, making sure not to slice all the way through the root.
Tip: Leave the root side intact to make chopping easier.
- Make vertical slices through the onion, once again making sure to not cut through the root.
- Rotate the onion so that the cut onion top is against your knife blade. Slice vertically down through the onion, still leaving the root end intact. Discard the root end and repeat with the remaining half of the onion.
Tip: The closer together the initial horizontal and vertical cuts are, the smaller the dice.
Chef Andrew from Ankeny #1, KCCI-TV recipe, March 11, 2016.