- Scrub the outside of the cantaloupe, honeydew or watermelon with warm soapy water and be sure to rinse thoroughly. This will help with spread of possible bacteria.
- Hold the cantaloupe steady on its side with one hand. With a sharp kitchen knife in your other hand, trim off a thin sliver of the stem end on each side, revealing circles of orange flesh roughly 4 inches or so in diameter.
- Stand the cantaloupe on one of its flat cut sides. Working from top to bottom, use a sharp kitchen knife to slice off thin strips of the rind around the entire perimeter of the melon. Examine the peeled melon. Use the kitchen knife to slice off any green spots that were left behind from the rind.
- Cut the melon in half lengthwise and using a spoon, remove and discard the seeds.
- Place the melon face down on the cutting board and slice into wedges. Cut the wedges into chunks.
Chef Andrew from Ankeny #1, KCCI-TV recipe, May 20, 2016.