Brown Butter Spiced Caramel Apple Cake in a Jar (Get Cooking)
Servings and Ingredients
|4 tbsp.||unsalted butter|
|4||large green apples, peeled, cored and diced|
|¼ c.||brown sugar|
|Squeeze fresh lemon juice|
|2 tbsp.||prepared caramel sauce|
|½ c.||packed light brown sugar|
|½ c.||old-fashioned oats|
|½ tsp.||apple pie spice|
|4 tbsp.||butter, cut into small pieces|
|Cinnamon Cream Cheese Buttercream|
|1 c.||unsalted butter, softened|
|8 oz.||cream cheese, softened|
|2 tsp.||pure vanilla extract|
|4 to 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted|
|1 ¼ tsp.||cinnamon|
|Vanilla Mascarpone Cream|
|8 oz.||mascarpone cheese|
|1 tbsp.||powdered sugar|
|1 ½ tsp.||pure vanilla extract|
|Seeds scraped from 1/4 vanilla bean|
|½ c.||heavy whipping cream|
|8||(1/2-inch thick) slices white or pound cake, cut into circles to fit inside jars|
|12 tsp.||prepared caramel sauce, divided, plus additional for garnish|
|1||green apple, thinly sliced and fanned for garnish|
|4||pint-sized mason jars|
- Spiced Apples: In a medium-sized sauté pan, melt butter over low to medium-low heat and allow to brown. Add apples and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, allspice and lemon juice; cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in 2 tablespoons caramel sauce. Set aside to cool.
- Streusel: Combine brown sugar, oats, flour, apple pie spice and salt. Using fingertips, blend in butter until ingredients are evenly incorporated. Place streusel on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Buttercream: Using an electric stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until creamy; add cream cheese and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated. Gradually add 4 cups of powdered sugar, cinnamon and salt. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy (adding additional powdered sugar if necessary); place in a pastry bag and set aside.
- Vanilla Mascarpone Cream: Using an electric stand mixer with whip attachment, beat mascarpone, powdered sugar, vanilla, vanilla bean, salt and heavy whipping cream until soft peaks; place in a pastry bag and set aside.
- Assembly: To assemble jars, pipe mascarpone cream in bottom of a pint-sized Mason jar. Top with a circle of cake and 1 tablespoon spiced apples. Pipe buttercream on top, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon streusel and drizzle with 1 teaspoon caramel sauce. Continue layers 2 more times to fill to the lip of the jar. Top with cinnamon buttercream, streusel and caramel drizzle. Garnish with fresh green apple fan.
1900 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 136g
- Cholesterol: 305mg
- Sodium: 540mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 158g
- Protein: 10g
Vitamin A 70%
Vitamin C 20%
Chef Andrew from Ankeny #1, KCCI-TV recipe, April 23, 2016.