These light and flaky treats filled with a sweet almond paste are delightful with a morning cup of coffee.
Servings and Ingredients
|3 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 (8 oz) container almond paste|
|½ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|½ c. Hy-Vee brown sugar, packed|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|2 tbsp. water|
|4 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee kosher salt|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter, cold, diced|
|½ c. Hy-Vee shortening|
|1 c. ice cold water|
|½ c. coarse sugar, such as sparkling sanding sugar|
Things To Grab
- Medium bowl
- Electric mixer
- Piping bag
- Large star tip
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Pastry blender
- Plastic wrap
- Hy-Vee nonstick cooking spray
- Rolling pin
- Silicone pastry brush
- Separate egg yolks from whites. Set aside 2 egg whites for almond filling, 1 egg white for egg wash and 1 egg yolk for dough; reserve remaining 2 egg yolks for another use.
- For almond filling, in a medium mixing bowl combine almond paste, 2 egg whites, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip; set aside.
- For egg wash, in a small bowl whisk together 1 egg white and water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until mixture is crumbly. Whisk together cold water and egg yolk; drizzle into bowl, tossing with a fork until combined. Gather into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide into four portions; wrap each portion in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheets; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 9-by-13-inch rectangle. Fold up 2 short sides of rectangle so they meet in the middle and fold dough like a book. Rotate dough 90 degrees; repeat the rolling and folding technique, ending by rolling dough into a final 13-by-7-1/2-inch rectangle; trim dough as needed to meet dimensions. Cut rectangle into three 2-1/2-by-13-inch strips. Brush strips with egg wash.
- Pipe filling along one edge of long side of each strip. Tightly roll up, starting from a long side. Do not pinch ends. Chill rolls and repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Transfer chilled logs seam side down to lightly greased baking sheets; form each into an S-shape. Brush remaining egg wash over each and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until flaky and lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Cool on wire racks and serve at room temperature.
630 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 36g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Sodium: 180mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 69g
- Protein: 8g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 0%