Chocolate Surprise Cake
Servings and Ingredients
|1 large round angel food cake|
|1 (21 oz) can Hy-Vee cherry pie filling|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee unsweetened cocoa|
|1 (8 oz) container Hy-Vee frozen whipped topping, thawed|
|½ c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|1 jar(s) Hy-Vee maraschino cherries|
|1 chocolate candy bar|
- With long, serrated knife, horizontally cut off the top one-half inch of the cake. Carefully set top portion of cake aside.
- Cut down into cake 1/2-inch from hole and 1/2-inch from edge, leaving a “wall” of cake 1/2-inch thick. Be careful to leave a 1/2-inch base of cake at the bottom. Remove center with a spoon, creating a cavity to fill with pie filling. Discard or reserve crumbs for a later use. Place cake on serving plate.
- Spoon pie filling evenly into cavity of cake.
- Fold cocoa and powdered sugar into whipped topping until well blended. Spoon 1/2 cup over cut surface of cake. Replace top portion of cake.
- Frost sides and top of cake with remaining whipped topping mixture. Sprinkle top, sides and base of plate with grated chocolate from the chocolate bar.
- Position well-blotted cherries around top of cake.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Store in refrigerator.