Chef Joel's Wisconsin Burger
Wisconsinites adore brats, and this burger is an ode to their culinary passion. The brat patties are complemented by caramelized onions and bakery fresh pretzel buns.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||recipe Caramelized Onions|
|8||(4 oz each) bratwurst patties|
|8 slice(s)||Hy-Vee Muenster and/or aged Cheddar cheese|
|4||Hy-Vee Bakery pretzel buns|
|4 tbsp.||cranberry mustard or coarse ground mustard|
|1||medium apple, cored and thinly sliced|
|Apple vinaigrette dressing, optional|
- Prepare Caramelized Onions.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- Grill patties on a well-greased rack for 10 to 12 minutes or until internal temperature of patties are 160 degrees, turning once halfway through. During the last 2 minutes of grilling, top patties with cheese and place buns, cut sides down, directly over heat to toast. Remove from grill; let patties rest for 5 minutes.
- Spread bun bottoms with mustard. Layer with two cheese-topped patties, Caramelized Onions, apple slices and arugula. If desired, drizzle with dressing. Add bun tops.
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS: In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons Hy-Vee butter over medium-low heat. Add 2 large, thinly sliced sweet onions (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla) and 2 tablespoons Hy-Vee sugar to skillet. Cook for 30 minutes or until onions are well-browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup brandy or Hy-Vee apple juice. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until onions are glazed.
1110 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 60g
- Cholesterol: 185mg
- Sodium: 2470mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 84g
- Protein: 55g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 15%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2016.