Salting eggplant slices before cooking them will help pull out some of the bitter components. This ensures that your cooked eggplant will be tender in texture with a slightly sweet flavor. Now imagine what it would taste like with a crispy coating and melted cheese.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee kosher salt|
|½ small eggplant, sliced 3/8-inch thick|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee black pepper|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee panko bread crumbs|
|3 tbsp. Hy-Vee grated Parmesan cheese|
|2 tsp. chopped fresh basil|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs, beaten|
|4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|½ c. Hy-Vee pizza sauce, warmed|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee shredded Parmesan cheese|
|Fresh basil leaves, for garnish|
- Sprinkle kosher salt on both sides of eggplant slices. Arrange in a single layer in a colander. Let stand about 20 minutes, rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a small shallow bowl, combine flour and pepper. In another small shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and basil. Dip eggplant into beaten egg and coat with flour mixture; dip again in egg and coat with bread crumb mixture. Arrange slices on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once halfway through.
- While eggplant is still hot, for each serving place one eggplant slice on a dinner plate and top with a mozzarella slice. Repeat layering with another eggplant slice, mozzarella slice and a final eggplant slice. Top with warm pizza sauce and shredded Parmesan cheese. If desired, garnish with basil leaves.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 23g
- Cholesterol: 240mg
- Sodium: 2160mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 42g
- Protein: 27g