This sweet and spicy combo provides a decadent counter to such savory snacks as biscuits and Brie.
Servings and Ingredients
|5 ⅓ c. blackberries (1 1/2 pounds)|
|1 ¼ c. finely chopped onion|
|2 medium tart green apples, cored, peeled and finely chopped|
|1 c. red wine vinegar|
|3 to 4 tbsp finely minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|4 ½ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
- Wash empty canning jars in hot, soapy water. Rinse jars thoroughly. Put jars in boiling-water canner with enough water to completely cover the jars. Bring the canner water to a simmer (180 degrees). Do not boil. Keep jars in simmering water until needed. Set screw bands aside. They do not require heating or sterilizing. Place lids, the flat, small portion of the two-piece jar closures, in separate saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer (180 degrees). Do not boil. Keep lids hot until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan, combine blackberries, onion, apples, vinegar, chipotle peppers, Worcestershire sauce, salt and garlic. Over medium-high heat, bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until berries soften, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in sugar. Boil gently, uncovered, over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes or mixture is thickened and sheets off a cold metal spoon. Stir frequently during last 10 minutes, mashing if a uniform texture is desired.
- Ladle into jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rim with a clean, damp cloth. Put on lids and bands.
- With jar lifter, add jars to hot water in canner. If necessary, add more water to cover jars with 1 inch of water. Cover and bring water to a boil over high heat. Process 10 minutes.
- Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.) Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Store unopened jam in cool, dry, dark place up to 1 year. Refrigerate opened jam up to 3 weeks.
- *Note: Chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes. When working with chipotle peppers, wear protective gloves.
45 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 30mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 0g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2014.